Monday, October 25, 2010

am i bad luck??

Laura and Matt swear that I am bad luck when it comes to Dodger games
just because every time i go they happen to lose
L & M have even gone so far as to tell me not to go to games for the sake of the team.
On the other hand I will fully attest to the fact that I am bad luck when it comes to flying.
I seem to always miss flights, have delays and just have miserable luck at the airport. 
here are a few examples:
1. Christmas Break 2007. I have 8am flight out of SLC. I wake up at around 5 to get on shuttle to get to the airport. Its been snowing nonstop all night long, making the roads terrible and it takes 2 hours to get to Salt Lake. I arrive at the airport right at 8am to be informed that I have missed my flight. They put me on a 10am flight, but because of the snow it is delayed till12pm. Four hours later I finally get on my plane to fly home, to then just get straight in the car with friends to drive to Las Vegas for the bowl game. This wouldnt have been such a problem if it wasnt finals weeks. I have a bad rep for not showering during finals week. I dont think I had showered for a few days and definitely hadnt washed my hair for like a week.
2. Christmas Break 2008. Im flying to Burbank via stopping in Las Vegas. Of course we stop in Vegas as the most freak snowstorm is hitting the city. Hadnt snowed in decades and of course im there to witness it. We were delayed for an hour or so as they were seeing if they could deice the plane. They couldnt, leading to the entire LV airport being shut down! Luckily I came across some fellow BYU students. We sat in a long line for about 2 hours trying to get new flights in the morning, then headed to the Exaclibur to spend the night. Im still friends with them after our special bonding night in Vegas. 
3. Summer 2008. Flying home from London. We board our nonstop flight from London to LA to find out that someone checked in bags but hadnt checked onto the plane, causing panic that their suspicious bags were checked but they werent. Although we had an 11 hour flight ahead of us we sat on the plane, in our seats for 2 hours before the flight took off. 
4. Summer 2007. Trip to Boston with the parents. We get to the airport plenty early for our 8am departure, waiting in a horrendous line to then get to the front and be informed that although we were there 1hour and 29 mins before our plane took off, we were not there 1 hour and 30 mins early as is required. They force us to miss our flight. Next flight to Boston isnt until 1pm. 
and now lets add this one...

5. October 2010. Flying home from our trip to Utah with Laura, Matt and the kids. Leave Ogden at 4pm. Arrive in SLC at 5pm, an hour before our scheduled departure at 6pm. Get to the gate to find out our flight is delayed  THREE HOURS. an 8:55pm departure. So what do we do? Walk three terminals over to CPK, let Chase have a grand time on the moving walkways. 
Buy Krispy Kreme donuts, facebook and hang out at the terminal. Arrive at LAX at 10pm and get on bus to take us back to the valley. Due to crazy traffic at the airport we dont even hit the road till after 11 and finally get home after midnight. We almost could have driven back to CA in the same amount of time. 
and this is what 8+ hours of flight traveling looks like....
am i bad luck??
oh and did i mention on top of this we experienced the worst turbulence EVER on the flight. I was regretting not writing up a will before I left. 
perhaps this is why I am a little superstitious and insist on always knocking on wood.
we are just glad to be back home.
up next: trip to utah post!!

4 comments:

Laura said...

is it awkward if i do a similar post? i did call dibs. the upside is both of my kids are sleeping right now. and yeah, not sure if i want to fly with you again with all your bad luck. except you did fly home with me in april and we had no problems. and honestly, we couldnt have done 2 sleeping babies and all our luggage without you. but seriously, maybe you shouldn't go to any dodger games next year.

kelly l said...

You guys are wunny.

P&C Dickson said...

my flight got delayed too! 3 hours with an 8 week old! the slc airport is blowing it. me, you and laura will all have matching bad luck posts

doublej said...

Hi Leigh. I love your blog! Great Utah posts by the way- you guys got some great photos! Sorry about your delay. We weren't delayed too bad, but did leave an hour late. We hit turbulence on the way home too- must have been all the rainy weather. (I am not a turbulence fan either) Great seeing you! -jEN