Monday, July 28, 2008

The Orangery

Of course today was another brutally hot day. It went by so fast today too! I really cant believe how the time has flown by. Its funny cause Cathy and I have talked about how we feel like we have known each other forever, when it really has been only a month. I really cant believe it has already been that long. I have been gone longer than time that i have left.


Well we had class today and we were all dying of the heat and of boredom. I actually filed my nails during class--but i still paid attention. Today we talked about grammar and what is considered standard english compared to good and bad english. honestly i could care less. i speak the way i speak and if i say "like" a thousand time, then so be it! (sorry dad). sometimes it gets interesting, but it just shows me that i really do love my major and im so much more happy taking history classes. Lillie was smart enough to remember that yesterday during church she spotted fans in some of the classrooms so we hunted three of them down and brought them into class with us. WOW such a difference, it was like heaven. After class the four of us plus our favorite friend Rachel went to the Orangery next to Kensignton Palace. Its a small cafe/ restaurant that is a pretty posh and proper place. We were burning up on our walk there and then they made us wait outside while they got our table ready. i have never been so hot before in my life, I really thought i was going to either melt or die. It was really cute inside and even had small orange plants on each table (it took my like 10 mins to realize why there were oranges...cause its called the orangery...haha) At first I was a little annoyed because nothing looked good on the menu. Since its a like a real tea place they had really random British food which equals not good food. We discovered that the soup of the day was some Spanish tomato soup that is a cold soup and as soon as our waitress said cold i was sold! We all got the same thing and it actually turned out to be really good. Rachel said that it has like every vegetable in the soup so it is really healthy for you, and since I need that i figured it was a good choice. As i was eating it i could feel myself start to cool down so it was perfect. We all ordered desserts and it was amazing. I got victoria sponge cake and i thought i was going to die. We all decided we needed to come back just for their desserts.


Then we were off to Samuel Johnson's House which is a required site for our history class. We walked through Kensington gardens to go to the tube and as i was crossing the street i noticed this kinda odd looking girl and recognized her--which was strange--and then realized it was Jessica! It was the most bizarre moment to be walking down a random street and to run into my cousin! We were both pretty shocked. Unfortunately I was really pressed for time so I didnt get to talk to her for very long, maybe like 10 mins, but we are still going to try and meet up another time. Im hoping I can fit it in. I still have so much that I want to fit into this next week that it might be difficult. Well after our little run in we realized that we were going to be super late for our lecture at the house. We were suppose to be there no later than 3:15 and it was already like 2.55. whoops. So we had to get on the freakin hot tube and then practically run to the house. This made the lecture so less enjoyable since i was literally exhausted--the heat just drained me and unfortunately i had no water with me which would have been much appreciated. The lecture and tour was interesting though. I learned that Samuel Johnson wrote on the first dictionaries and history of the english language and we went to the house where he began his work on the dictionary. (i liked the entry under X in his dictionary). His house and neighborhood were both really cool. They are from the 18th century and it was just so spectacular. I think sometimes I was born during the wrong time period. Well except for all the inconveniences of the time period--we all know I really wouldnt be able it, but I love the architecture of the old times.


After our lecture M'kynzi and I went shopping! I am still unsatisfied with my lack of purchases since I have been here. It is just so hard for me to spend money, and I dont want to buy just to buy so im trying to be careful. But i did finally buy sunglasses from H&M. But nothing else has really appealed to me. I need moms opinion on all of my purchases! After doing some shopping M'kynzi and I had an Italian home made dinner of gross semi cooked pizza and pasta. And then off to sainsbury's (best shopping market ever! im going to miss it so much!) and i bought a ridiculous amount of food for only spending one more week here. but everything just looked so dang good and cheap! so i couldnt resist. once we got back home the four of us mapped out our next couple of days. technically we only have like 3 more days in london which makes us soooo sad. We are trying to pack in markets, plays, museums and dinner for our last week. I think we have a great week planned ahead of us. if only it would stop being so dang frickin hot.

6 comments:

kelly l said...

that's pretty crazy that you ran into jess. did you guys take a pic together? bummer that you only have three days in london left? where are you guys going on your tour of britain? are you going to lake district? if so, it's awesome. have you guys seen byu's london centre yet? it's real close to kensington palace. just wondering. i like that you used your valuable british pounds to buy something at h&m. i just hope you don't see the same pair of sunglasses for much cheaper when you get home.

kelly l said...

did you guys have gazpacho? on the today show, they said it was much better for you than chili. duh. i'm glad to hear that a cold soup could be good.

Laura said...

wow, lot's of near death experiences today - what with the heat and sponge cake. i didn't even know jess was in london. what is she doing there? that is crazy. have you been to cafe diana's yet? you NEED to go. am i right kel? and i am surprised you have been able to do and go anywhere at all in London with all the decision making that needs to be done.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't Samuel Johnson have predicted the discovery of the "X-Ray"? Excellent use of the letter.

Unknown said...

Did they not have any Xylaphones back in Samuel Johnson's days? Or is that spelled with a Z?

leigh said...

wow kelly, lots of questions. we are basically going all over britian. up to york, the lake district, scotland, liverpool, and then back to london (im sure more places but i dont know them all) and yes, that is what the soup was called. and yes, xylaphone is spelled with an x, he just believed that no words should start with x so he just wouldnt include them in his dictionary.