OH WOW. The past few days have been so packed I don't even know where to begin. It was super fun and I really really loved it. And the best part is that I went to Paris and got away without even going to the Louvre! But I will get to that later.Day 1--July 24, 2008
Well we got up in the early hours of about 3 in the morning. It was crazy to think that while i got up everyone back home had probably just had dinner. The time change thing is pretty crazy. I got ready, put last minute things together and we were outside at the bus stop by about 3.50 and caught the bus to take us to St. Pancras. We arrived in Paris at about 8.30ish and we were already lost upon our arrival. Immediately I was thankful for the English Language--I really didnt appreciate French. So after purchasing metro tickets we headed for our hotel/hostel. And we got freaking lost. So not enjoyable. We had no idea where our "hotel" (the place claimed it was a hotel and whenever we are in public we like to refer to our hostels as hotels) was and we were just wandering the streets. The bad thing about the girls that I went
with is that we cant ever agree about certain things (as this trip fully showed). Its either one girls way or the highway, which usually never works. We were standing on the side of the road and we obviously looked so lost because a guy who was sitting outside a cafe from across the street came over to us to see if we needed help. We then went into the cafe to get some directions. So after wandering the streets we finally found it. And we were in like freaking chinatown too, so it wasnt that great of an area. But the best part of the wandering was that as we were walking M'kynzi asked me if the French drive on the right side (American way) or the wrong side (British way) of the road. I had to stare at the cars forever and imagine myself driving in CA and in UT to finally say that they drive on the wrong side of the road in France. About 20 minutes later M'Kynzi informs me that the French drive the same way we do! I was so confused. I just couldnt remember what it was like anywhere. I was finally getting use to the way the Brits drive and then I had to go back to the other way, and i was just lost and confused and coulnt remember what was considered "right" anymore. Im actually really fascinated by this whole driving different thing and want to research it. So anyways when I cross the street I never know which way
to look. But now when i cross the street it feels more comfortable to look right then left. Ill have to readjust once i get back to the States. Then we arrived to our hostel/hotel--Wow. We were shocked at how CRAPPY it was!. The stairs were super windy and were compltely falling apart. Then Cathy and I get to our room and it was so tiny, the bed was super hard the bathroom looked like it use to be a closet and the best part was that the bathroom didnt even have a light in it! We had to pee and shower in the dark! And in order to use the sink you basically had to lean over the toliet. It was ridiculous. Then we tried to decide what we should do for the day and thats when things got complicated. Everyone wanted to do different stuff and had their own opinions about everything that it was really frustrtaing. M'kynzi really wanted to go to Versailles so Abby
and I went with her, and Cathy and Lillie wanted to go to the Louvre (this is what i think is hilarious--we had originally planned that all of us would go to the Louvre on Friday but they wanted to go on Thursday cause they said that they could spend two days in there--yet after spending like a few hours in there realized that they didnt want to go back. HA.) So we went out to Versailles, and it was beautiful! It was blistering hot, but really really pretty. I realized being in Paris how much I actually remembered it from the first trip--but i still really enjoyed it. We took a whole tour of the palace and then out to the gardens. It was so hard to walk around outside cause of how hot it was, but it was still great. The best part was that in London we
bought museum passes for about 20 pounds, it got us into a bunch of museums and we didnt have to wait in any lines. So it was great cause there was a massive line to get into the palace that we were able to skip. After Versialles we went back to main Paris, met up with Kelsey for some dinner (had fabulous steak and 'frites') then met up with Cathy and Lillie under the Eiffel Tower. We got ice cream and just sat at the park next to the tower and took lots of pictures. It was so crazy to just be sitting at the Eiffel Tower!! It kinda felt like a dream, really unreal that I was just hanging out in Paris with my freinds. We stayed till about 9ish and then decided to go home so we could go to bed after a really long day of travel. That night Cathy and i didnt really want to sleep in our bed cause it scared us, so we decided to sleep on top without covers or anything and left our window open--such a bad decision cause in the middle of the night i woke up absolutely freezing. But we still didnt want to sleep in the bed, so we pulled the top comforter up from the bottom of the bed and folded it over us. At the time it seemed like a great decision, but we had to sleep in like a fetal position all night so by the morning our legs were so cramped! It sucked.
with is that we cant ever agree about certain things (as this trip fully showed). Its either one girls way or the highway, which usually never works. We were standing on the side of the road and we obviously looked so lost because a guy who was sitting outside a cafe from across the street came over to us to see if we needed help. We then went into the cafe to get some directions. So after wandering the streets we finally found it. And we were in like freaking chinatown too, so it wasnt that great of an area. But the best part of the wandering was that as we were walking M'kynzi asked me if the French drive on the right side (American way) or the wrong side (British way) of the road. I had to stare at the cars forever and imagine myself driving in CA and in UT to finally say that they drive on the wrong side of the road in France. About 20 minutes later M'Kynzi informs me that the French drive the same way we do! I was so confused. I just couldnt remember what it was like anywhere. I was finally getting use to the way the Brits drive and then I had to go back to the other way, and i was just lost and confused and coulnt remember what was considered "right" anymore. Im actually really fascinated by this whole driving different thing and want to research it. So anyways when I cross the street I never know which way
to look. But now when i cross the street it feels more comfortable to look right then left. Ill have to readjust once i get back to the States. Then we arrived to our hostel/hotel--Wow. We were shocked at how CRAPPY it was!. The stairs were super windy and were compltely falling apart. Then Cathy and I get to our room and it was so tiny, the bed was super hard the bathroom looked like it use to be a closet and the best part was that the bathroom didnt even have a light in it! We had to pee and shower in the dark! And in order to use the sink you basically had to lean over the toliet. It was ridiculous. Then we tried to decide what we should do for the day and thats when things got complicated. Everyone wanted to do different stuff and had their own opinions about everything that it was really frustrtaing. M'kynzi really wanted to go to Versailles so Abby
and I went with her, and Cathy and Lillie wanted to go to the Louvre (this is what i think is hilarious--we had originally planned that all of us would go to the Louvre on Friday but they wanted to go on Thursday cause they said that they could spend two days in there--yet after spending like a few hours in there realized that they didnt want to go back. HA.) So we went out to Versailles, and it was beautiful! It was blistering hot, but really really pretty. I realized being in Paris how much I actually remembered it from the first trip--but i still really enjoyed it. We took a whole tour of the palace and then out to the gardens. It was so hard to walk around outside cause of how hot it was, but it was still great. The best part was that in London we
bought museum passes for about 20 pounds, it got us into a bunch of museums and we didnt have to wait in any lines. So it was great cause there was a massive line to get into the palace that we were able to skip. After Versialles we went back to main Paris, met up with Kelsey for some dinner (had fabulous steak and 'frites') then met up with Cathy and Lillie under the Eiffel Tower. We got ice cream and just sat at the park next to the tower and took lots of pictures. It was so crazy to just be sitting at the Eiffel Tower!! It kinda felt like a dream, really unreal that I was just hanging out in Paris with my freinds. We stayed till about 9ish and then decided to go home so we could go to bed after a really long day of travel. That night Cathy and i didnt really want to sleep in our bed cause it scared us, so we decided to sleep on top without covers or anything and left our window open--such a bad decision cause in the middle of the night i woke up absolutely freezing. But we still didnt want to sleep in the bed, so we pulled the top comforter up from the bottom of the bed and folded it over us. At the time it seemed like a great decision, but we had to sleep in like a fetal position all night so by the morning our legs were so cramped! It sucked. It was also crazy to think that Dan has been gone for a year and six months on this
day. I kinda was thinking about that throughout the day. Only five more months till he gets back--craziness. I never actually thought that it would go by as fast as it has. OH and it was Pioneer Day! A year ago we were on the Hinckley Parade. I miss that town. and Delta.
day. I kinda was thinking about that throughout the day. Only five more months till he gets back--craziness. I never actually thought that it would go by as fast as it has. OH and it was Pioneer Day! A year ago we were on the Hinckley Parade. I miss that town. and Delta.Day Two--July 25, 2008
So not only did I wake up this morning with stiff legs but I woke up feeling the most sick I have on this trip. I think sleeping in the cold may have led to this, but my throat and head hurt and my nose was completely stuffy. So it definitely was not making the day any more fun. We were suppose to leave the hostely by 10--well Cathy and I didnt even get up until 10, so that was pretty funny--probably not to everyone else since they had to wait around for us. But I felt like crap, so the extra sleep was definitely needed. Even though we had a late start the day was super productive. We started off by going to the Notre Dame. We didnt go inside because the lines were super long but we walked around the whole thing and took pictures. M'kynzi and Abby wanted to go up the bell tower but we didnt want to wait line so Cathy, Lillie and I headed off to St. Chapelle--It is a 13th century cathedral that had
amazing stained glassed windows. And they were absoultely breath taking. The photos really do not capture how amazing they were. The three of us walked into the chapel and just had to sit down to admire them. On the 14 windows they told the story of the bible from Genesis until the Passion of the Christ. So we sat down opposite the Geneisis window and tried to depict the pictures. It was really pretty. We stopped by a little stand afterwards and Cathy and I shared an amazing kebab that had fries in it. it was really really good. Cathy told me that in France they put fries in everything--it made me like the country more. Then it was off to the Musee d'Orsee. At first I not happy about this. But then I realized that going to this Museum got me out of going to the Louvre since the other girls were going there and we were all meeting up after they went into the Louvre! (side note--Did we go to the Musee d'Orsee while we were in Paris last time? I had a vague memory of that building, but i always assumed it was the Louvre, but i could have been wrong). We only stayed for about an hour and twenty, which i figured was a perfect amount of time. We went and saw Van Gogh, Monet, Renoir and some others that i dont really know nor remember. After looking through Van Gough I realized that I think I really only like
his work. I was actually pretty fascinated looking at his pictures and looking at the brush strokes and think that Vincent Van Gogh actually painted that. We also saw some other impressionist work that I was fascinated with and took some pictures of it. So my one museum expereince wasnt that bad--i know you are all shocked--but I dont think I would have wanted to walk there any longer. Then we headed to the Louvre to meet up with Abby, Kelsey and M'kynzi and we all walked down the Champs Elysees towards the Arc de Triomph. It was really cool to walk down the Champs Elysees since they were setting up for the Tour de France to
come in tomorrow. (Dad-- I cant believe im about to say this, but do you want to save tomorrows recording for me? I actually want to watch some of it since I was there right before all the bikers come in, thanks). I saw lots of Danes there that were sporting their Danish pride for the Tour, it made me happy. We took some pictures of the Arc and then headed under it so we could climb to the top! We had to walk up about 280 steps but it was well worth it. It was so cool to be standing on the top of the Arc de Triomph and see across all of Paris! After we found a good resturant and celebrated Abby's 20th Birthday and then went back to the Eiffel Tower. For dessert I ate an amazing crepe--but i wish i could eat like 10 0f them like i do at home, so im already excited to make crepes after this trip. M'kynzi, Abby and Kelsey wanted to go to the top of the tower, but the rest of us opted out of going so we just sat on the grass and waited for the tower to light up. Once it started to get dark some blue lights went on and i was a little disappointed cause i thought it was going to be spectacular, but once it got darker it turned super blue. then at about 10 a ton of lights started flashing and everyone
applauded and it was AMAZING looking. We sat there in awe and snapped tons of pictures (as if i didnt have enought eiffel tower pictures). Since it was a really hot while we were there I wore my orange dress to stay cool--this allowed for the funniest moments of the day. As we were walking down the Champs Elysees and I walked over a subway vent which allowed my skirt to completely fly up and I screamed so loud! I swear my dress went up so high! And the fact that I totally shrieked just drew more attention to myself but I was totally shocked at what happened. We were all laughing pretty hard. But then we came across another one, so we all joked that i needed to be careful, I tried to avoid it but even though I didnt walk directly over it my dress still flew up and I screamed again. HA, it was too funny. It was a very exhausting day, we literally walked all over Paris. It made me think of the pioneers, and I
had the pioneer "children sang as they walked and walked and walked" song stuck in my head all day.
amazing stained glassed windows. And they were absoultely breath taking. The photos really do not capture how amazing they were. The three of us walked into the chapel and just had to sit down to admire them. On the 14 windows they told the story of the bible from Genesis until the Passion of the Christ. So we sat down opposite the Geneisis window and tried to depict the pictures. It was really pretty. We stopped by a little stand afterwards and Cathy and I shared an amazing kebab that had fries in it. it was really really good. Cathy told me that in France they put fries in everything--it made me like the country more. Then it was off to the Musee d'Orsee. At first I not happy about this. But then I realized that going to this Museum got me out of going to the Louvre since the other girls were going there and we were all meeting up after they went into the Louvre! (side note--Did we go to the Musee d'Orsee while we were in Paris last time? I had a vague memory of that building, but i always assumed it was the Louvre, but i could have been wrong). We only stayed for about an hour and twenty, which i figured was a perfect amount of time. We went and saw Van Gogh, Monet, Renoir and some others that i dont really know nor remember. After looking through Van Gough I realized that I think I really only like
his work. I was actually pretty fascinated looking at his pictures and looking at the brush strokes and think that Vincent Van Gogh actually painted that. We also saw some other impressionist work that I was fascinated with and took some pictures of it. So my one museum expereince wasnt that bad--i know you are all shocked--but I dont think I would have wanted to walk there any longer. Then we headed to the Louvre to meet up with Abby, Kelsey and M'kynzi and we all walked down the Champs Elysees towards the Arc de Triomph. It was really cool to walk down the Champs Elysees since they were setting up for the Tour de France to
come in tomorrow. (Dad-- I cant believe im about to say this, but do you want to save tomorrows recording for me? I actually want to watch some of it since I was there right before all the bikers come in, thanks). I saw lots of Danes there that were sporting their Danish pride for the Tour, it made me happy. We took some pictures of the Arc and then headed under it so we could climb to the top! We had to walk up about 280 steps but it was well worth it. It was so cool to be standing on the top of the Arc de Triomph and see across all of Paris! After we found a good resturant and celebrated Abby's 20th Birthday and then went back to the Eiffel Tower. For dessert I ate an amazing crepe--but i wish i could eat like 10 0f them like i do at home, so im already excited to make crepes after this trip. M'kynzi, Abby and Kelsey wanted to go to the top of the tower, but the rest of us opted out of going so we just sat on the grass and waited for the tower to light up. Once it started to get dark some blue lights went on and i was a little disappointed cause i thought it was going to be spectacular, but once it got darker it turned super blue. then at about 10 a ton of lights started flashing and everyone
applauded and it was AMAZING looking. We sat there in awe and snapped tons of pictures (as if i didnt have enought eiffel tower pictures). Since it was a really hot while we were there I wore my orange dress to stay cool--this allowed for the funniest moments of the day. As we were walking down the Champs Elysees and I walked over a subway vent which allowed my skirt to completely fly up and I screamed so loud! I swear my dress went up so high! And the fact that I totally shrieked just drew more attention to myself but I was totally shocked at what happened. We were all laughing pretty hard. But then we came across another one, so we all joked that i needed to be careful, I tried to avoid it but even though I didnt walk directly over it my dress still flew up and I screamed again. HA, it was too funny. It was a very exhausting day, we literally walked all over Paris. It made me think of the pioneers, and I
had the pioneer "children sang as they walked and walked and walked" song stuck in my head all day. Day 3--July 26, 2008
Luckily Cathy and I realized that we could not sleep in the fetal position again, so we sucked it up and slept under the covers--hopefully we dont get bug bites. And I slept relatively well and woke up feeling so much better, thankfully. But again Cathy and I woke up late and made the group late. They should have known not to let the two girls that enjoy their sleep the most to sleep in the same room together. But it was fine and it didnt damper our day at all. We didnt really have any plans set for the day but M'kynzi wanted to go look at some store that had some amazing chandieler in it. So we were up for finding it. But it wasnt the best decision--we took like the most round about way to get there and then couldnt
even find it. The best part is that since it was our last day we all walked around with our backpacks on purses--not only do I hate this fashion mishap but we looked like the biggest tourists ever walking around with our matching Study Abroad backpacks. And then not only was it frustrating that we were walking around with no destination but then Cathy and Lillie went off on their own, which would have been fine but I just wanted us all to stay together. And they acted like it totally inconvienced them to do something that they didnt want to do. That was kinda a theme throughout the trip--If someone had a contrary idea, we couldnt agree we all just had to go off and do something all different, like I cant describe it, it was just frustrating. But it was hard traveling in a group of six girls. So after wandering we headed back to the Eiffel Tower, wandered some more and then decided to just head over to the train station. Once we got there we walked around the stores by there. One thing that I love about Paris is that all of the cafes and restaurants have out door seating and ever chair is facing the street and sidewalk, it kinda
just makes it a cool vibe and atmosphere. I wanted to eat one of the hot dogs in Paris cause they looked so interesting, but alas I never got one. We were all kinda tired from walking around so much that we didnt really do too much. I would have liked to walked around more, but everyone else seemed like they needed to rest, which I guess was ok. The best part of today was when after we bought some bread we went and sat on a bench outside next to two men that we quickly discovered were totally drunk. They talked to us in French forever! I dont think they realized that we didnt understand anything they were saying. It was really funny, but the first chance we got we escaped from sitting there to get away, Crazy Frenchmen. So really we didnt
do too much today--kind of a bust. But oh well. By the end of the day we were all dying to go back "home". Its really fun calling London our home. But it was so true, I loved Paris and Im so glad I went but its nice to be in a place where everyone speaks English and I can read everything! The tube station here doesnt smell like pee and I dont have to feel totally grossed out by sitting down on the tube either. Everything is just so much cleaner here in London, and it made me appreciate our flat so much more! Im like so excited to sleep in my bed tonight, even though its not really my bed, but its so much better than a hostel! Im really sad that I only have one more week left in London. I really dont want to leave. 

even find it. The best part is that since it was our last day we all walked around with our backpacks on purses--not only do I hate this fashion mishap but we looked like the biggest tourists ever walking around with our matching Study Abroad backpacks. And then not only was it frustrating that we were walking around with no destination but then Cathy and Lillie went off on their own, which would have been fine but I just wanted us all to stay together. And they acted like it totally inconvienced them to do something that they didnt want to do. That was kinda a theme throughout the trip--If someone had a contrary idea, we couldnt agree we all just had to go off and do something all different, like I cant describe it, it was just frustrating. But it was hard traveling in a group of six girls. So after wandering we headed back to the Eiffel Tower, wandered some more and then decided to just head over to the train station. Once we got there we walked around the stores by there. One thing that I love about Paris is that all of the cafes and restaurants have out door seating and ever chair is facing the street and sidewalk, it kinda
just makes it a cool vibe and atmosphere. I wanted to eat one of the hot dogs in Paris cause they looked so interesting, but alas I never got one. We were all kinda tired from walking around so much that we didnt really do too much. I would have liked to walked around more, but everyone else seemed like they needed to rest, which I guess was ok. The best part of today was when after we bought some bread we went and sat on a bench outside next to two men that we quickly discovered were totally drunk. They talked to us in French forever! I dont think they realized that we didnt understand anything they were saying. It was really funny, but the first chance we got we escaped from sitting there to get away, Crazy Frenchmen. So really we didnt
do too much today--kind of a bust. But oh well. By the end of the day we were all dying to go back "home". Its really fun calling London our home. But it was so true, I loved Paris and Im so glad I went but its nice to be in a place where everyone speaks English and I can read everything! The tube station here doesnt smell like pee and I dont have to feel totally grossed out by sitting down on the tube either. Everything is just so much cleaner here in London, and it made me appreciate our flat so much more! Im like so excited to sleep in my bed tonight, even though its not really my bed, but its so much better than a hostel! Im really sad that I only have one more week left in London. I really dont want to leave. 

if you want more pictures, just ask, i have like a billion
6 comments:
What?? A few days away from your professor and out comes the tank top!! so not BYU. Glad you had a good time in Paris.
leigh I'm pretty sure your friend Abby was either at one of our soccer camps or I was at EFY with her. Pretty sure it was soccer. She looks so familiar. What is her last name?
i first scrolled before the pictures before i read the post and i'm with mom, the first thing i noticed was you wearing a tank top now that you're not with your group. such a hoochie. i don't know if i can claim you as a sister. laura probably can though. and you would be sad to know that i made crepes today for breakfast and the kids were so excited because i was finally letting them have ice cream for breakfast and they DID NOT like them at all. ella actually ate half of one, seth ate one bite and drew ate nothing. tragic, huh, but i did eat four. and then thirdly, you said you took the train to paris, so did it go through the chunnel? i'm assuming yes, since last time i checked trains could not go on top of water. glad to hear you had fun and you are a dork for trying to sleep without a blanket. what day are you coming home?
yeah, i'll still claim you because i didn't even think about the tank top other than you looked cute. but this is coming from the sister that wore halter tops.
and fyi, "hotel" comforters are like 10X more dirty than the sheets because at least the sheets get washed as the comforters never do. just something to think about.
and yes, we did go to the musee d'orsee as i was obsessed w/ van gogh. glad you had fun and that you made it back to london alive (i was hoping for an email or something while you were there that said "i'm alive")
you are coming home in a week? really? that seemed really fast for me.
kelly - you have failed since your kids don't like crepes...what?!?!? although matt will eat them with syrup which really makes me mad.
first off it was freaking hot in paris, so i think im justified in my hoochiness. and im glad my skanky sister laura still loves me. kelly--this is your first failure as a mother! you are suppose to carry on the crepe tradition of the family. but i shouldnt really be surprised by your kids picky-ness. yes we took the chunnel so we go under the water. i was really hoping that somehow we went over the water, but alas, we dont. and laura--i do not come home in a week, we just leave london in a week. after that we go on a bus tour of all of britain for a week, and then i come home.
Leigh, you are banned from driving for at least a week after you come home so that I can be assured that you will be driving on the correct side (right) of the road. Great pictures, I appreciated the multiple Eiffel Tower shots. Glad you enjoyed the Musee d'Orsay, before you know it you will be a regular art snob.
Post a Comment