Tuesday, November 26, 2013

el finale.

We have reached the end of my Mexico trip.
But just cause it was winding down, it did not disappoint.
We spend our final morning in Taxco, and just when I thought I couldn't love it more, I did.
We had breakfast in the courtyard of our hotel and loved that.

It was decorated so pretty and quaint. The food was pretty good (stinky cheese again!) but we loved our hot chocolate.

At the very top of Taxco was a statue of Christ and we really wanted to see it.
The hotel informed us that the only real way to get up there was by taxi.
This was because of the crazy streets of Taxco.
We piled into a taxi for a really great adventure.

I have never experienced such crazy and intricate driving. They were winding around these little narrow streets so fast. If another taxi was coming down the road, our taxi would need to back down the road to make room.
The crazy drive was so worth it. The view from the top of the mountain was so amazing.
The Christ statue was spectacular.

We then made our way back to Mexico City and all of the traffic.
We met Brian's family at Xochimilico, a very Venice-esque place for a little river cruise.

It was a lot better than I was expecting. We took off on our boat and the river was packed with other boats that provided legit entertainment
food
and good sights
 
and then just crazy drunk people on boats that felt very "great & spacious building"-esque.
Afterwards, we headed out for Korean karaoke for entertainment and then out to a really fancy five-star restaurant for a really late dinner.
So late that it was giving me anxiety about our 4:30 am wake up call for our flight the next morning.
Annie and I got about 2.5 hours of sleep our final night and were up and out for the airport.
Our flight was leaving at 7 and left the house about 5:25, but with it being so dark out we had some trouble getting to the airport. Then we couldn't find the right terminal and missed it about 3 times.
We got dropped off at about 6:20. And in true Leigh fashion, my anxiety started setting in.
We were running real tight for our departure.
We went to the wrong kiosk and then was informed we were even at the wrong airline. We were on a Delta flight out of the other terminal. The terminal we had past about 3 times  in the morning.
We rushed to the bus to switch to the other station and at this point my anxiety left and reality set in that we were missing our flight. We rushed through the terminal anyway. And alas, the airline was all closed up.
Brian came and met us (since he wasn't flying with us) and we sat and waited to figure out how we were gonna get up.
Annie and I sat and played games and resisted the urge to scratch our bug bits, which had gotten increasingly worse.
Bites as of the Sunday after.
 (which yes, I still have and then tend to itch every once in awhile)
Brian was nice enough to purchase us new tickets.
Redirecting our flight to Atlanta then to SLC.
I had a great trip. So much fun and saw so many great sights.
I am so thankful for Lourie and Brian for being so kind and generous on our trip together.
I felt like another daughter on a special family trip.
And although I loved Mexico,
it was the best going through customs and hearing "Welcome home"

3 comments:

kelly l said...

Those were some really great pics. What's up with the dolls tied in the trees? Kinda creepy.

Kevin and Heather said...

Leigh your trip sounds amazing (minus the bug bites)!! I showed Kevin the ziplining and repelling and he said, "That sounds like my type of vacation!" Love the Christ statue too, so beautiful.

Laura said...

Sounds like a great trip- minus the big bites and missing your plane.