On our third day we went on a mini road trip to Taxco.
I didn't know much about the city other that my co-worker said she was super jealous about it.
Annie and I slept the whole drive there. Which is what we did any time we got in the car.
We did wake up for lunch which we stopped in Cuernavaca.
We happened to find a little market and wandered in there. It was one of the best finds in Mexico.
It definitely reminded me of places in downtown LA.
A market filled with different vendors and lots of food options.
I loved all of the great {& cheap!!} things to buy.
The man hand making pinatas.
And one of the best fruit stands I have ever seen.
And really good food too.
We got back on the road to Taxco and before I knew we were pulled off the road to admire the city in the distance.
I was already in awe.
It was a beautiful city, made in all white and overtaken the mountainside.
Driving in the town was even better. The roads were all cobblestone.
The streets were narrow and curvy.
The taxis were all white slug bugs. Only because they had to be. Its the only type of car that can fit through the streets.
I instantly fell in love with the scenery and atmosphere of Taxco.
So quaint and beautiful.
We got checked into our hotel. Which was a monastery in the 1600s and now transformed to the coolest hotel I have ever seen.
This was the outside courtyard.
And me and Annie's room. So awesome.
We explored the church of Taxco.
One of the most ornate churches I have ever seen.
It was phenomenal.
This cute little boy was following us to the church trying to get us to buy gum. He was so cute. I wish I would have bought some from him.
We got there in the middle of a service
We had dinner up on the rooftop of a restaurant that overlooked the Zocalo {town square} and a perfect view of the church. We were up there for the sunset and the Zocalo coming alive at night.
Again, the atmosphere was amazing! The waiter even brought us all blankets as the night was getting a bit chilly.
Annie and I both decided this was one of the most romantic dinners we had ever experienced. haha.
As we were leaving our restaurant we noticed down below that there was music and dancing going on. The waiter explained that every Thursday was "Senior Night" and the "third generation" Taxco residents gather at the Zocalo for music and dancing.
We made our way down there and were in awe of all of the local residents out for dancing in the town square. So many people were there and of all ages--youth, young adults, moms and dads and kids. The younger people were all just gathered and watching. It really brought everyone out.
Before we knew it Annie and I were both asked to dance!
We were a little nervous and hesitant but realized, why not!!
We stayed out there for probably a half an hour, switching dance partners and trying our best to communicate. I wasn't a good dancer. Like at all. Salsa has never been my forte! But they put up with us anyway.
Although Juan and Victor spoke no english. I did understand the words, sister, mom, dad, boyfriend and my name. Thank you three years of Spanish class.
It was so fun and definitely one of the best highlights.
















2 comments:
Of course the old Mexican men wanted to dance with you and Annie. And the sculptures in that church kinda creep me out. But super cool nonetheless.
ha ha soo awesome! I love Mexican culture, I wish we had dancing every Thursday night!
Post a Comment