Friday, November 22, 2013

the bug bites.

Today was our day to go to the Grutas de Cacahuamilpa. 
AKA some really cool caves. 
Before heading out we took the morning to walk around Taxco some more. 
Ate breakfast overlooking the town square,

came across the skeleton in the road to commemorate the men who died working on the church next door,

and went back to the church and explored the town. 
Then we hit the road for the caves and Annie and I took a nap. 
The caves were really, really fascinating and HUGE!
It was a slightly difficult tour since our guide only spoke in Spanish and Brian was unsure with a lot of the translations. I did understand the words calcium and minerals. 
The best part of the tour was that we would walk down and he would turn on the lights for up ahead and the caves became so illuminated and they were so beautiful. 
The caves were located in a much more jungle type atmosphere, so many trees and really warm weather. 
So, Annie and I decided to go change into shorts, which later would be the biggest mistake of the whole trip. 
We had lunch and had a gorgeous view of our surroundings. We played games while we waited for our food and it was really fun. 
We then went on to do some deportes extremos. 
Our first was a zip line across the extreme Mexican jungle.
It was actually a really far distance but really pretty. 
Now going back to the mistake of the shorts…by the time Annie and I got across she noticed bug bites on her calves and even the bus still there sucking blood. I looked down at my legs and realized I had a ton of bites too! And even a few drops of blood trickling down my leg as some after effect too. 
It was crazy that within like 30 minutes we were eaten alive! 
We then went to on to our next extreme sport, rappelling. 
Now this I was actually really terrified off. I had never done it before, and it was a short distance but I didn't like that fact that I couldn't really see where I was going. Or that it was such a drop off from the cliff. 
I had to go second just to get it over with. 
I realized afterwards that the worst part was just that I wasn't strong enough. My hands hurt from clutching the gear. 
By the time we got back to our hotel my legs were on fire they itched so bad. It was really bad pain. 
Annie and I showered and hoped the soap would give some relief but it didn't. These Mexican bugs were something different. And it was painful. 
We got ready for the evening and went out to dinner. 
Another nice night out with a view of the church. 
We were all a little disappointed in our meals because of the stinky cheese we kept encountering. 
And for once, I was getting pretty sick of Mexican food and didn't trust any other food on the menu. 
But our dessert was spectacular with a fire show and all. 
We came back to our hotel for a early evening in. 
My bug bites were killing. 
I got 25 bits on my right calf alone.
(This doesn't even do it justice, just wait for what it looked like on Sunday)
I settled in for the night to witness the Dodgers lose to the Cardinals in extra innings on Spanish ESPN. 
Really sad but grateful I could still watch thousands of miles away. 

2 comments:

kelly l said...

I'm glad that Annie likes to nap as much as you. Do you still have the red marks on your legs or have they finally disappeared?

leigh said...

Still have them! And the still itch every once in awhile