Thursday, January 26, 2012

quarter of a century.

Well. It happened. I turned the big 2-5
Despite my love for all things party and birthdays I was nervous I wouldnt be excited with this upcoming birthday. I mean, its kind of a big deal, right!? But it came and I was just as excited as ever. 
I starting brainstorming for my birthday months ago. And was a little stumped.
The NR3 guys moved out of their house. So no party there
Granada Hills doesnt offer many great hang outs for a party. So a repeat of the golden year was out too.
Much to my dismay, most of my crew here complains of birthday dinners. There goes the Lanai tradition. 
And my mother hates when I have more than 2 people over at the house. Oooof. 
My birthday was on a Sunday. Hard to celebrate then.
And it was Stake Conference weekend. No dinner outings on Saturday night. 
Then my father informed me that him and my mom would be out of town Friday night, no family celebration then that night either. 
I was getting a little bummed. And out of ideas. 
Sitting at work one day, it was like a lightbulb just turned on. 
Parents out of town? House to myself on a Friday night?
Let the secret party plans begin. 
Linden offered to make me a cake. I thought of some great decorations. Sent out the facebook invite. 
I had myself a party in the works. 
And it turned out to be a great success and one of the best birthdays.
I started the evening out with dinner
 (Lets be real, Im not not gonna go to dinner!) 
with a group of great ladies. 
Then back to my house for cake, chatting, a Dodgers pinata and dancing for the rest of the night. 
I was so proud of my Pom Poms that I made!! They were so adorable and perfect. They are still hanging up cause I refuse to take them down yet. Thanks pinterest!! 
Some of the party people gathered waiting for the pinata.
Im a little disappointed in myself for the lack of photos. 
(Allie Barker dont get mad at me!)
My excuses are that one, I was having too much fun to be bothered with snapping photos
and two, well I was still on the fence about coming clean to my parents and didnt want photographic evidence. 

The party was such a success! I had so much fun celebrating by dancing and being surrounded by all of my friends. 
And of course the celebrations continued on throughout the weekend with two family dinners and forcing my family to tell me all the things they loved about me. (I wont let that tradition die either!)

And so here is to being twenty-five
Inside I tell myself this means I need to be an adult. 
Although I fight it by still claiming hot dogs are my favorite food, sleeping until past 10 on the weekends and still living with my parents. 
But Im happy knowing that I like this 25 year old version of me more than the 20 year version of me. And knowing that, I think the years will just continue to get better. 

And as a finally side note, as I sat in Stake Conference on Saturday night, listening to my dad speak on honesty and integrity...having my friends poke me throughout the whole talk...needless to say, I came clean about my party. 

9 comments:

Laura said...

Can I get a little cred for coming up and assisting with the Pom poms? Happy 25th! You ate my favorite 25 year d by far. And can't believe you lied to the rents. Glad I had no part of that whatsoever.

leigh said...

ok yes, you get some credit for the idea! hmmm im pretty sure hiding the pom poms at your house counts as lying to them. you were a part of the scheme the whole time!

Ann said...

What!!! A party at my house!! Can't believe it happened.
In Leigh's defense, she did tell us before we went out of town that she was having "a few" friends over that evening. P.S. house was spotless when we returned. You are a good and honest daughter.

T. Hoyt said...

i just love lil boo's face at the cake! she's ALL over that! she mustve learned it from you Leigh...we know how good your self control is!

B said...

Scandalous! Happy Birthday Leigh. I'm glad you partied despite the obstacles.

Amy Sue said...

Sounds like a pretty good birthday weekend to me! Love the decorations & the pinata! And don't worry Leigh, I was living with my parents at 28. Don't be ashamed! Save the money that you would spend on an apartment!

kelly l said...

I love that it took you a whole day and a guilt trip about coming clean about a party for your 25th (not 16th) birthday! Hilarious! I'm glad you had a great day/weekend/week for your birthday.

Kevin and Heather said...

as soon as Kevin heard about the pinata at your party he was like, "that'd be so fun for birthdays for our kids!" So...you can prolly add that to your not-so-adult list.

BBS said...

I love so many things about this post--I think you bring such life and fun to Cali! I love all the photos of your fun party--and love the small print disclaimer at the end!