After walking out of the Temple I realized I was 1 down, 1 to go.
One more big, scary, hyperventilating-worthy activity to go.
Most of the week I was doing ok. I was a little freaked out but there was so much going on in the weekend that I was able to think about other things and look forward to being with my family.
It wasn't until Friday night that the nerves really kicked in.
What should I eat that night?
Have I really trained good enough?
Is my hip flexor going to start hurting right away?
What do I do if it does?
What should I eat in the morning?
Do I have a shirt I can wear to keep me warm?
What if I hit "the wall"?
Am I going to be able to do this?
Months of training and dedication to completing this marathon and I was a wreck.
I left my family dinner at Sundance a bit early to head back home.
And with the hugs, good lucks and "break a leg" I could feel the nerves coming even more.
My dad walked me out to my car and I just lost it. I broke down in tears over how nervous I was.
I know it was just running but it was a lot of running, 4 hours of running, 26 miles of running and its just scary.
My dad said a sweet prayer with me and thankfully my tears and nerves were minimized.
3:45 am came and I was up and getting ready. I had planned with Monica to meet her at the buses at 4:30 but I was so anxious and speedy in the morning I was ready 15 mins early. So I sat on my bed at 4 in the morning counting down the minutes till I could leave.
Luckily I found Monica and we were able to ride the bus up and hang out for over an hour at the top of the Canyon. The freezing canyon.
We talked to strangers, got some running tips and by 7 am stripped down to my running clothes and tried my best to stay calm as I embarked on my long awaited 26 mile journey.
I absolutely loved the course, it was so beautiful. That alone was inspiring enough to keep going.
My hold up did start right away. My calves were incredibly tight.
I hadn't really had that happen to me before and wasn't expecting it. But they ached. The entire time. But it was time to go big and persevere.
I hadn't really had that happen to me before and wasn't expecting it. But they ached. The entire time. But it was time to go big and persevere.
I came out of the canyon at mile 17. So happy knowing that I just PR'd on my half (I am still counting it! I was at like 1:50!) And continued to feel great until mile 20. I was on a high. I just completed 20 miles! And only had a mere 10k to finish it up.
But my legs were starting to be in a lot of pain. I never hit "the wall". I knew I could keep going, but I never imagined it would hurt to actually move my legs. There may have been a few times when I screamed out in pain it hurt so bad.
I had three miles to go until my sisters joined me and I could not be happier and it kept me going.
I rounded the corner and could see my family in the distance and wanted to shout for joy. (But couldn't--that would exert too much needed energy)
It was so great to see them! I needed their support and seriously got teary eyed but Laura told me not too, I wouldn't be able to run if I was hyperventilating.
They kept me going, told me stories and Laura thinks she can now me be a 3-6 mile motivational pacer.
I felt great running with them and passing everyone else walking, and although it hurt to run, I was still going.
I think some of the best moments of the race was running alongside my sisters.
Then it was down to the .2 there was an incredible mix of emotions knowing that the finish line was right there.
My sisters pulled off the course and I saw them still running alongside of me outside the barricade.
But then it was just me and the finish line and I gave it my all pushing my legs even harder to come across that finish line and accomplish the incredibly hard task of running a marathon.
But then it was just me and the finish line and I gave it my all pushing my legs even harder to come across that finish line and accomplish the incredibly hard task of running a marathon.
I probably could have run faster to the finish, but I was quickly gaining on guy ahead of me and I didnt want to make him feel bad that I passed him up.... But I still pushed hard to finish alongside of him.
I started getting emotional before I even crossed the line. Partly for pain and partly excitement and awe.
{I have a love/ hate relationship with this photo. It sums up perfectly what I just described.}
{I have a love/ hate relationship with this photo. It sums up perfectly what I just described.}
They handed me my medal and my first immediate thought was..."I am going to puke"
Luckily, they also handed me a water bottle so that helped with the whole not puking thing.
And then I walked over to my parents and sisters, gave them hugs and then put my head down and just cried and cried.
{I am getting teary eyed just thinking back on the experience!}
And I also couldn't walk.
After giving my family hugs, I turned to Laura in a moment I had been waiting a long time for...
"I ran a marathon before you."
Aubry and Allie also joined in at the finish line. Such a great surprise!
Running this marathon has now seemed unreal. I cant believe it actually happened.
I hit all of my goals too. I only walked through the water stations, actually ran through the finish, not crawled or limped and finished near the 4 hour mark...4:09 to be exact!
But I loved it and have never been more proud of such an accomplishment.
I hit all of my goals too. I only walked through the water stations, actually ran through the finish, not crawled or limped and finished near the 4 hour mark...4:09 to be exact!
But I loved it and have never been more proud of such an accomplishment.












6 comments:
So very proud!!!!
Wow! I got emotional reading this!! Way to go Leigh!!
I cried reading this. I now know for absolute certain, that I never want to run a marathon. But good for you.
So I tried to comment from my phone, but it kept not working. But I was trying to say that I love that finish line picture because it really shows what it feels like to finish a marathon. I was really glad we could run you in to the finish. It was great. And I'm super proud of you.
Great post!! So so proud of you! It was an amazing experience to be there and run with you. And emotional for me too! And HAPPY that you ran one before me. I gotta get some of those pics of us, they are great.
Leigh you are amazing!!! And strong! I'm so glad the big weekend for you turned out and your family was there for such a big accomplishment!
Post a Comment