Thursday, September 19, 2013

Family. Temples. Forever.

 I have previously blogged about how much I love my Robins family and our family reunions. 
Well now is a great time to brag about my amazing Svendsen family
I have so much love for my Svendsen and the rich history, sacrifice and culture that accompanies it. 
My grandparents, Svend & Jytta Svendsen joined the Church in Denmark shortly after World War II. 
My Uncle was already born and they decided to move to America, the land of opportunity, and they picked little Provo, Utah to be close to the church and the temple. 
On September 11, 1952 my cute Grandparents and Uncle drove to Manti, Utah to receive their endowments and be sealed as an eternal family. 
Shortly one year later my Mom was born and grew up in a very Danish household. 
Speaking mainly Danish, eating Danish food and yet trying to fit in as an American. 
I love being Danish. I love having such a strong connect to Denmark. 
My Grandma Jytta was really the only Grandparent I ever knew and I miss her so much. 

To commemorate this special day and our ability to be an eternal family my cousin Katy organized a family reunion centered on a trip to Manti. 
My Svendsen family is so special because we are so small in numbers. 
(In comparison to the awesomeness of our big numbers on the other side)
There are just 9 cousins.
And we traveled from Nashville, Dallas, Brooklyn, Boston, Los Angeles and even Provo, Salt Lake and Ogden to be together and go to the Manti Temple.
And the rest of my family too.
I always have to catch my Uncle Rick smiling because it is such a rare occurrence!!
 We took photos on the steps in honor of my Grandparents and Uncle Peter outside on the Temple on their big day. 
Our reunion plan mostly revolved around going through a session at the Temple. 
And guess what?
I went through the Temple too. 
It couldn't have been more perfect timing and just that..perfect. 
I wish I could go back and relive it all over again. I don't ever want to forget those moments. 
My whole family there, knowing my sweet grandparents were there 61 years prior and turning around and seeing my sisters dorky and yet cute smiles and thumbs up during the whole thing. And then lots of hugs afterwards. 
We then spent the rest of our time continuing to catch up over great meals, enjoy each others company and walk around City Creek.

9 comments:

Evan and Amber said...

Yay Leigh! So cool! I had no idea how danish you were guys were.

Laura said...

The best day!!!! So happy I could share your day with you. It was so special! Love you!

Ashley D said...

So happy for you Leigh! And great story. I love the Manti temple, it's so historic and beautiful

kelly l said...

I can't believe you called me dorky. So rude. It was such a great weekend. I was thinking today about how fun it was.

B said...

I'm so happy you came through the temple with us and that we all got to see each other. Grandma would be so happy! I am also glad to get these pictures from you too :)

Ann said...

I can't believe it took me 4 days to see this post. This weekend will go down as one of the best experiences of my life, one I will always cherish. I LOVE the Svendsen name and my Danish heritage. Also seeing my three girls running together at your marathon and your accomplishment added to the very special weekend.

BBS said...

It was truly such a very special weekend!! Loved being with you~

Heather said...

I am no longer reading your blog...you keep making me cry! Congrats on two big events in a week.

katyandtodd said...

Leigh, you are such an amazing women!! Thanks for letting us share that special with you. I will always cherish the memories!!