Sometimes when I am at my job, I think I am at church.
Not because Im surrounded by that many Mormons or white people.
But because at my school there are so many dang acronyms!
I work as the CDD at SNA of APA.
{I cant wait for my head shot to go up on the bulletin board}
Sheesh!
I guess my school was founded by members of the church.
I usually always get a little annoyed when people brag about their jobs, but I feel like its finally my time to brag about my job.
I freaking love my job.
I know I blogged about it before, but I am seriously so happy with my new position as the Character Development Director at my school.
I basically get to do all of the fun things at school. Help plan the 9th grade bake sale and winter dance, take the leadership students to see A Christmas Carol at the U, go on field trips to the Capitol, make the morning announcements {which is secretly my favorite part} and the best part...I dont have to do any prep or grade papers!
And to top all of that off, I now work with one of my best friends, Mo Milla! Monica got a job at SNA about three weeks ago and we love it! We sit in the office together and try our best to get our work down while chatting the day away.
However, the hard {slash, also really awesome}part of this new position, is that I am also the Assistant Principal. Since the school is founded on both Academic Development and Character Development {which is me!} I am the number two in command at school.
This means I sometimes have to put on a mean face and handle some discipline.
Don't get me wrong, sometimes its easy to yell at the students to get to class and be strict when they have to call home for the 50th time that day for not doing there homework.
But then there are the tough times, like what happened to my last week.
One of our students, who kinda has an anger problem, was sent to the office for stealing pliers.
I brought him into my office and tried my best to explain why stealing is bad {especially pliers by a kid who threw desks last year!!} and then told him he was going to be suspended.
He bursts into tears!
Yikes.
After giving him time to compose himself, I bring him into the hall to call home about his suspension.
Before I know it, my angry and suspended student is running and flailing down the hallway!
He is running away!!!!
I dont know what to do but follow after him trying not to distrurb classes as I am trying my best to yell "Stop running! Come back here right now!"
But he didnt listen.
He rounds the corner and runs outside!
Looks both ways as he is trying to plan his best escape route and then runs some more.
So I continue to follow!
Running after him, and yet also scared to actually catch up to him (since lets be real, he wasnt running all that fast) but I didnt really know what to do if I caught up to him!
What would I say to him? What if he tries to kick me?
Once I see him turn around one part of the school, I went back inside for some back up.
Luckily, our Guidance Counselor was there ready to deal with him, so I turned it over to her.
Its always an exciting day at SNA!
When I am not doing the Assistant Principal role of my job, my favorite thing has always been trying to help and support the students as best possible.
Like when I helped a crying 9th grade girl work and comfort her when he friends were being mean to her.
I got a note in return for that one. And many more. Stuff like this always brightens my day and makes me absolutely love working at a school.
I want to try my best to blog about funny things that happen at school.
Cause you know there is never a boring day with these kids!
Also, I know I havent been the best at blogging lately, but the other day I went through my google reader and noticed soooo many of my friends that havent updated their blogs in months {some even years!}. And to do some "spring cleaning", I unsubscribed from many blogs. But did I miss a memo here? Is blogging all of a sudden uncool? lame? I guess replaced with instagram....It made me a little sad. I dont want blogging to be uncool!


3 comments:
Hahaha oh garret! That is my all time favorite memory so far ;) I love you Lee and I'm so glad we get to work togethervery day!
Glad you love your job! Although I'd make sure none of your students are able to find your blog. And I wouldn't worry whether or not blogging is cool. If you like it keep it up
3 things: 1. you are pretty dang hot. 2. Your job does sound awesome...aside from literally chasing students down. I don't think/know I couldn't do that. 3. blogging with be forever cool as long as you're doing it.
Post a Comment