Monday, December 24, 2012

the spirit of Christmas.

I have a really big confession.
I have not felt very Christmas-y this year.
I have always loved parties, celebrations and holidays. But this year I just have not gotten into the spirit of Christmas.
This year has just gone by way too fast. I guess thats what happens when you get older right? Time flies by even faster.
{Wasn't it just Thanksgiving? Didnt I just move to Utah? Shoot, wasnt it just my birthday!?}
 
So Ive been in denial that its really Christmas time.
My mind set has always been if I pretend its not happening then its not going to happen.
Ive always had this mentality.
For instance, I hate cold weather. So during my BYU winter days, I wouldnt wear a coat to school. Cause if I didnt wear a coat or gloves then it would mean that its not cold out. I could pretend it wasnt cold so that I wouldnt have to face the fact that I now lived 30 degree climate. {Ive been scolding too many times by my family to stop wearing flip flops in cold weather}
So accordingly, if I refuse to listen to my Christmas music and I dont look at any lights that means Christmas wont be coming this year. Or at least not so fast, right?
Wrong-o.
Its Christmas Eve.  And I havent even listened to Justin Bieber's Christmas album.
Ive robbed myself and will have to wait a whole 'nother year to enjoy it.
Yesterday as I was getting ready for church I decided to bite the bullet and listen to some Christmas messages on my Mormon Channel app.
And of course that always helps put things into perspective.
I have been so busy trying to figure out life and just get by and adjust to a new life and a new job but of course its always important to remember the why of Chrismas.
I watched this video that brought my tears as I tried to do my Sunday make-up.
It was so sad and heartbreaking but with an incredible message to remember a baby that was brought into the world to give peace and joy to all.
Christ came into this world to hold us, carry us through trials, lead the way and guide us through this life. He knows us and loves us. Christmas isnt about being a bit of a bah humbug or the year flying by too fast but about celebrating the gift of the Savior into this world.
And what a special gift to have and more importantly, to know.
 
"To catch the real meaning of the 'spirit of Christmas', we need only drop the last syllable and it becomes the 'Spirit of Christ'."
Thomas S. Monson
The Best Christmas Ever, Dec. 2008


No comments: