Sunday, March 27, 2011

basketball identity disorder.

I have realized lately that I have an identity disorder when it comes to basketball. 
I just don't know who I want to cheer for
who is going to be my team. 
Los Angeles Lakers
or 
Utah Jazz.

Growing up in LA and especially having Matt as a brother, its hard to imagine not just automatically being a Lakers fan. 
But I grew up watching the Jazz! 
I cheered for Stockton and Malone and loved Hornacek wiping his face. 
I have a John Stockton autograph after cheering him on at a Clippers/ Jazz game. 
I lived in Utah for BYU and continued to be a LA girl, yet a Jazz fan. 
But felt guilty for not loving Kobe. 

I cheered against them. And participated in activities like this:
Tearing down my So Cal friends Laker flags and replacing them with support for the Jazz. 

I went to my first Jazz game at the Energy Solutions Arena. 

I cheered for the Jazz, and against the Lakers alongside native Utahans last year in the playoffs. 

And then, the Lakers eliminated the Jazz. 

On nights that I was bored I would go over to my friends house (the same boys who I pulled down their Lakers flag the previous year) and would watch the playoffs. 
And in the process I jumped ships. 
Decided to cheer for the Lakers. 
Fell in love with Kobe. 

Although I felt guilty because of my Jazz roots, I participated in activities like this:
Championship parade in Downtown.

On Tuesday, for the first time in about 5 years, I went to a Lakers game.
Sporting an LA shirt and cheering on Kobe and the boys through triple overtime! 
It was the most intense game I have ever watched. Experiencing so many different emotions in those last 15 minutes of playing time. 
Alas, im still a little conflicted.
Ive embraced my inner LA Lakers girl.
But I will always have special place in my heart for the Jazz.
And ill just be screwed when they play each other. 

3 comments:

Laura said...

Easy. Would you rather be a champion or continually disappointed? it's like asking if you would rather be in a committed relationship or keep going back to an abusive relationship? having said thAt, I feel like you crossed the line as a laker hater to ever come back.

kelly l said...

yeah, just jump on the laker bandwagon. whatevs. if that's what you feel good about.

Amy Sue said...

Lakers all the way! My nephew and I have the same purple Lakers shirt! We wear it proudly here in UT!