Friday, May 28, 2010

Adios Oak Canyon!

Thursday was the last day of school. Wait, actually Friday was. But who goes to school on the last day? No one. So I didnt either, hence Thursday was my last day. Officially ushering in summer! As I turned in my keys, cleaned out my box and walked out for the last time, I was really sad to be leaving the school, my co-workers and the pesty junior high kids. When I started this job back in January I thought that there was no way anything could ever come close to being at Wilson High. That I would not feel the same sentimental feelings to this school and these kids as I did in DC. And although these were two completely different experiences and situations I am surprised at how much I honestly loved my job and grew to love these students as well. Of course there were many days I walked out of there and wanted to pull my hair out or had to go straight to the gym to work off my frustration (and im not even a legit teacher! jr high kids, im telling you...) 9 times out of 10 I loved being at Oak Canyon every single day. Some of my favorite things about my job and some of the highlights....




-I could read as much as I wanted. The fastest I got through a book was in two days.

-I frequently got to watch movies. Although I never got through the whole movie in one class period. I had to watch The Incredibles three times in one day without ever getting to see the end. Oh, and it was in Chinese.

-Every once in awhile we were in charge of doing Bingo. The kids loved when I called out the numbers.

-Usually at least once a day I had to do lunch supervision. Not my favorite part of the day.

- I loved walking down the halls and have at least three students say hi to me.

- My favorite was once a student said hi to me and his friend didnt know who I was, the first student replied by saying "Ms. Robins is so tight"

- There were so many times I would get to school and find out that lunch was being provided for us that day. Brick Oven, Mexican, Wallaby's.

-So I learned the Jerk when I was in DC. Mostly because it was what ALL the kids were talking about and so we wanted to learn it to fit in. We wanted to be the funny white teachers that were trying to impress our black students who were obviously way better at jerking then we were. When I showed my students I could jerk, they were kinda impressed, but kinda laughed. I might have been referred to as looking like "a retarded rabbit." But I was ok with that. Once I got to Oak Canyon and revealed that I could attempt to Jerk--they loved it! They thought I was so cool. I cant even tell you how many times I walked into a class and heard "Ms Robins I heard you could Jerk!" And I had never even seen this kid before! Kids were demanding me to Jerk during lunch, during class, in between classes in the halls. I had to start telling kids it was bad rumors that were being spread about me.

-Speaking of rumors. One student told me the rumor that went around school about me. According to him, all of the 9th grade and 8th grade boys (he doesnt talk to 7th graders though since he is in the 8th grade ha) said I was the best looking SAC lady they have ever seen. oh geez... i didnt like hearing that. Awkward.

-If I had a dollar for every time I heard "Ms Robins you are my favorite SAC lady" I would be rich. And the kids agreed with me.

-I loved walking down the halls and hearing this one boy in particular scream, literally yell, "Hi Ms. Robins!" And he would do it multiple times a day, didnt matter how many times I saw him.

-On our last week we got an email saying a teacher had left over pies from a party he had in class and that he put the excess in the faculty fridge. My co worker Gina and I went over to check it out. Fridge stacked with pies! We walked out of there loving our jobs and loving pies.

-On our last day we were so bored. Nothing to do. So Gina, Erin and Megan and I decided to put in a movie in one of our work computers. I then suggested we make popcorn from the popcorn machine in the faculty room. We straight up watched Disney's Robin Hood in the SAC and it made me so happy! Dont worry, later on in the day we put in The Emperor's New Groove and Erin and I attempted to make more popcorn, but I think we broke the machine. woops.
I had so much fun at my job. There are so many students that I just loved, and I loved the other ladies that I worked with. Im going to miss catching up on our lives, gossiping about all the bad kids, talking about our favorite shows and just the good chats in general.
Megan, Me, Erin and Gina watching Robin Hood.


And im going to miss driving past this house every day! I LOVE this house. Its my total dream home. Look at that white picket fence! and the little porch. its just perfect. one day I will live in a home exactly like this. In either California, DC or Boston.


4 comments:

Laura said...

i love that the #1 reason you loved your job was because you could read your book. ha ha ha. and that the students thought you were cute. and good luck with your big house in ca, boston or dc on your teacher salary. better find you a rich husband.

kelly l said...

i ditto all laura's comments. i'm glad you ended up enjoying your job this year. now on to finding a summer one, right?

Gina said...

Awe good times. And look at those amazing picture taking skills I have!

BBS said...

Have you decided what you are going to do next?? Love this sweet post and glad you changed and loved Utah schools after all!!