Last week at church we got a little surprise visitor.
None other than the apostle, Elder Dallin H. Oaks.
No joke our Relief Society gasped when they announced he was in Elders Quorum.
I was all ready to linger in the hall in between RS and SS to catch a glimpse but that was not needed since he walked in half way through our Relief Society lesson.
Another gasp.
It was one of those unreal moments to see an apostle sitting just a foot away.
And so judge me if you will....I took a picture. I just couldnt help myself!
My flash may or may not have gone off. I dont think he noticed.
After RS he got up mingled and shook lots of hands, including my own hand!!
I overheard that he is gluten intolerant and is shorter than I expected.
He stayed for Sunday School and instantly felt relief that I was not teaching! I would have had extreme anxiety to be teaching doctrine with an expert in the room.
We were lucky enough to have him make lots of comments {only lucky cause of course we had a crazy non-ward member sitting in the back making weird comments}
Just hearing his voice in person was surreal and amazing.
It was also just such a good reminder of focusing at church.
I feel like its a cliche statement to throw around at church about what if Christ walked in during church, how would we feel, what would we do?
But that is exactly how I felt with an apostle walking in and I instantly had all of those thoughts running through my head.
I need to put my phone away.
I can only read my scriptures from my phone. No texting. No checking instagram.
Glad I didn't wear that one dress that is a bit too short today...
Are my tights too scandalous???
Do I need to make more comments?
I have to volunteer to read if I'm not commenting.
I could go on and on...
Not only was I grateful to be in the presence of an Apostle, a man who literally is called of God, who can and does receive revelation from him. But more importantly for the reminder of letting go of distractions and staying focused on the true purpose of church, feeling the spirit and becoming closer to the Savior and our Heavenly Father.

5 comments:
That's pretty cool that he came to your ward. And I would feel relieved that I wasn't teaching. Good SLC perks.
When I first saw the heading I thought, "she did NOT take a picture," but after reading your post, I am glad you did. I loved your thoughts and comments. This is a great post that you will love having in your published blog book.
What a cool experience! I will never forget the day that I met President Uchtdorf & he put his hand on my shoulder. I had several of the same thoughts go through my mind!
When I was living in Orem, Elder Perry came to our ward and sat on the stand during sacrament meeting. I guess he had family in the ward and was there for a visit. He didn't speak during the meeting, and I didn't get to shake his hand, but it was a neat experience anyway.
Awesome. I'm glad you weren't wearing anything too scandalous.
Post a Comment