Friday, December 10, 2010

i aint no student, im a teacher.

I love being nostalgic. I love looking back, reminiscing and remember what I was doing at a certain time on a certain date. And today is just one of those days. 
Today makes one year since my very last school day as a student teacher at Wilson High. 
There is not a day that goes by that I do not think of that school. Those students. My students. My classroom.
When I signed up to go to DC two years I had no idea how profound of an impact that experience would have on my life. 
Yes it was hard. 
There were many times I cried. 
I had to make a list of things I love about teaching to get me through those stressful and difficult days.
I contemplated dropping out of student teaching and just hoped they would still let me graduate without finishing.
I started counting down the days and lessons I had to plan. 
I had to pray real hard every morning and night for strength. 
But if I could go and relive my school days, my very last dance party with my students, I would do it in a second. 
Of course all of those stressful moments are overlooked when you remember a group of students telling you that World History is their favorite class. 
When a student says that you are a great teacher and they learn so much everyday. 
When one student, who is always late and never does his work, comes up to you after the lesson and asks: "Ms. Robins, what are we going to be learning about tomorrow?"
When they get captivated by World War I. 
Well mostly trench foot.
When they come into my classroom during prep, just to say hi and chat. 
When I teach them about Teddy Roosevelt and they get excited about the Rough Riders and DMX.
When on my very last day of class every single one of my students gives me a hug goodbye. 

I miss all of that. 
I miss the dance parties, sharing horoscopes and our today in history moments. 
I miss the excitement of seeing them learn, because I taught them.
 I miss being called Ms. Robins. 

6 comments:

kelly l said...

when are you going to get your substitute teaching stuff done? then you can hurry and be a teacher again.

Tela said...

I'm sad you aren't teaching right now, it sounds like you had a great time in D.C...Hearing how much fun you had gets me excited for my student teaching :)

Allison Barker said...

We miss you in DC!!!

N. Slade said...

Ms. Robins, I was just telling my roommates about DC tonight! I miss it too! It must be on all of our minds. So so so so many great memories and I miss teaching so much. Did you ever think those 3 words would come out of my mouth?!

Love you girl!

morgan and whitney. said...

then do something to get your rear end back into the classroom.... (to be said in the most concerning, loving but stern voice you can imagine from across the hallway in the other room).

The Hebdons said...

I miss DC too!!!! It was such an incredibly, life changing experience. Miss you Miss Robins!!!!