today is my sister Laura's birthday!!
and so with that I am just going to say DITTO to kelly's birthday post.
haha. kidding.
following tradition I have to do a dedicatory post to my sister, especially since today's birthday is an important one. the big 3-0. although she can pass for 23 (as we have been mistaken for twins a time or two).
Just as I have throughly enjoyed living next to Kelly when I live in Utah, I have always loved that the past few years Laura has lived close to my parents. So every time I came home for summer or breaks I was able to spend lots of time with Laura and her family and have loved it.
I think our favorite summer was the year Chase was born and Laura and Matt were living in Sherman Oaks. I was only working part time and Laura was adjusting to parenthood. So obviously I would drive down to her house almost everyday--she would parallel park my car, I would hold Chase--and then we would spend the rest of the afternoon watching Desperate Housewives while Chase slept. We got through like the first 4 seasons that summer. And even now it is not uncommon for me to go to Laura's house in the morning, hang out all day and then invite myself to stay for dinner.
Growing up I had the same feelings with Laura as I expressed about Kelly.
I looked up to her so much (and still do) and wanted so badly to be her friend and do everything that she did. For example, pretty much the only reason why I started to play soccer was because Laura played.
When we were little we shared the same room and Im pretty sure almost every night I would wake her up and ask her if I could sleep in her bed with her. After she took off her neck gear for her braces, she obliged.
Laura is also the self proclaimed "funny one" in the family, and stresses that she took all of the funny genes in the family, leaving none for the rest of us. She is pretty funny, although I dont like to admit that--hopefully by the previous statement, you know why. Due to my lack of funniness (according to her) she created my "funny book" a book where we would write down all of the funny things that I said since it was such a rare occurrence. I only have two things in my funny book--one that I said when I was like 10 and the other we cant remember.
But if you have hung out with her, or have read her blog, you know she is pretty witty.
I am so grateful that what I have always wanted has finally happened--that Laura (and Kelly) is my best friend. I loved being in Utah and probably talking to her 3 times a week. And now living here and being able to talk, hang and cry.
Laura is also an amazing wife, mother, sister and now that she is older, daughter.
I look up to her so much and admire so many different aspects.
I was in love with Laura's prom dress. I so thought when I was a senior I would wear this dress. Then 2005 came and I changed my mind.
the famous photo: "im just gonna close my eyes and no one will be able to tell cause im wearing these glasses"
Happy Birthday Lolo!!
I am so grateful for you in my life. You are an amazing sister and friend.
love you.
7 comments:
Don't worry, I named my doll "Lolo" after Laura as a kid. She was pretty cool.
As always, great post. I didn't know that she made you a funny book and it only had two entrys. Of all those pictures, the one with you and Laura in your blue striped dresses, I think Kate totally looks like you especially when she scrunches her nose. And tell Laura I like her chubby face in that one picture. Ha!
so basically we owe our whole friendship to your sister! Imagine she had never wanted to play soccer, then you wouldn't have wanted to either, and we would never have met and I maybe would not have gone to BYU and lived with my 3 bestest friends and thus my whole life would have been altered!! thanks Laura! and happy birthday. :)
I thought the part about Laura being a good daughter now that she's older was pretty funny. You just have more of a dry witt. You could add that to your funny book. PS--How remember Laura is with the super dark lipstick and the parted down the middle straight hair. Good times.
best. post. ever.
you failed to mention that the "funny book" is a hypothetical book. and i swear i recently said you could add a new entry. but i forgot it.
and thanks for the picture of me in my spandex. awesome.
thanks for being such a great sister. sorry that i secretly want you to stay single and hang out with me forever. at least maybe you can stay living close by.
and thank you brooke. and i didn't appreciate the chubby face comment kelly. not cool. shall we recall chubby face pictures of you? and heather, you are welcome.
i love you leigh!
i feel like the first picture needs an explanation. my dad missed taking a picture of leigh accepting her diploma. so i had the brilliant idea of reinacting this photo op with her, which, was much better because she KNOWS me, and not the guy handing out the diplomas.
Leigh I love reading your blog. Even though I don't know your sister. Haha you're so cute!
Post a Comment