As i embarked on this journey to DC, my last day of school seemed like an eternity away. I thought of all the days of school that i had left, the countless amounts of lessons that i had to plan, papers to grade and hours to spend with rowdy high school kids with way too much attitude. and it seemed like i would never make it. December 11 seemed so far away. And now, before i knew it, my last day is tomorrow. Ive tried to soak it all in. The ride on the metro, the walk into the school, down the hall ways and time with my kids. as i looked into the eyes of my students it broke my heart that after tomorrow i will never see them again. it was hard. really hard. there were many nights that i cried because i didnt think that I could do this or keep going. For awhile I doubted if this is what I really wanted, if I really wanted to be a teacher or not. During the hard days I had to keep telling myself to take one day at a time. I even made a list of things I loved about teaching to keep me going. And then I would get to school and have a BLAST. i would have so much fun. I love being called "Ms. Robins," I loved dancing in class, teaching my students and realizing they are learning about history and its because of me. That I was teaching them. Through this I realized that I loved being a teacher, that this feels so right and that I could not imagine doing anything else. As I sit in my classroom for pretty much the last time, all by my self, I feel so sad. I do not want to leave Wilson High. How did this happen? How is already time to leave? Days that Chanel and I moon walk or do the Jerk in class just makes it too much fun. Moments where my students say there are going to throw a revolution against the school so that I can stay on as their teacher. Or walking down to the metro, hearing my students scream "Ms Robins!! This isnt California! We were coats in DC!" As they mock my frequent lack of, despite the chilly weather. And then the next day having Kamal tell me "Ms. Robins, just dont go back to Utah." Leaving tomorrow is so surreal, I just seriously cant believe it that its over. Ive loved being in DC. And Ive loved teaching and I love each one of my students. Greatest three and a half months of my life.
4 comments:
better than london? that's impressive. i can't believe you're done today too. you know what, you'll have many more months that you'll enjoy in the future and sorry to say, life goes too fast. i'm glad you've had a good time, but we all can't wait to see you. hurry back to utah.
i am SO glad you decided to go to DC. you will remember it always. and I am so proud at how hard you have worked. i can see how much you have grown in these few months. but i am also excited to have you home for a few weeks.
Ms. Robins,
I echo your sentiments loudly! Thank you for welcoming me into your classroom with open arms and sharing your students with me. I couldn't have asked for a better ending to this semester than exactly how we did it. You are such a great teacher and I have learned a lot from you. Here's to future teaching experiences with the "Whiteys" in Utah!
-- Ms. Wright
I too, am so glad that you took the opportunity to do your student teaching in DC. I'm thrilled that you had such a great (even though it was hard at times) experience. The future holds even more great experiences. Can't wait to see you.
Post a Comment