Friday, February 14, 2014

the Greats of SLC

A really great thing I love about SLC life is that there are always great things to see and do here.
So when Shylettera came into town two weeks ago there were a couple of sights I wanted to show her!
Our first stop was the Great Salt Lake. 
Ive always wanted to head out there and see how Great our city's name sake is.

It was a perfect day to go. It was cloudy/rainy/snowing in the city but once we drove out to the lake it was sunny and {relatively} warm.
The GSL is 75 miles long! and 35 miles wide.
It is mad up of 33% salt. Thats double what is in the ocean!
I loved seeing the photos of The Great Saltair and the resort status it was back in the day.
I learned all of this at the Visitors Center, of course.

I then had the idea to drive out to the Salt Flats. 
It turned to a crazy idea cause it was like a really long drive away.
But once we started driving there was no turning back and we really wanted to go!
Before we actually got to the Flats we got to another part of the lake. I think. I'm not really sure what it was but it was cool. It was so beautiful and had the perfect stillness. We realized afterwards that it was so still that it had a perfect reflection. If you turn this picture upside down you won't even be able to tell which way is up. I dare you. Try.

We weren't sure how much longer we had to go until we finally saw it.
We pulled straight over on the freeway and ran onto the Flats.
I think I pranced around for awhile I was so excited to be there.

It was the most amazing site I have ever seen.

And the fun didn't stop there!
We were about out of gas after such a long drive and the only place to fill up was Wendover!
Haha. So we drove the 8 miles to fill up and we reached the state line. We drove Shylettera all the way back to Nevada.
And we even got to be in two places at once, which doesn't happen every day!

The Lake and the Flats are definitely a site to see. And Wendover, will it was just an added bonus. 

3 comments:

Heather said...

Now try driving across the Salt Flats for like 10 hours! That was our drive from CA to UT every year for family reunions...not so fun, but glad you liked it. PS i was hoping this was going to be the "how he proposed" post...I'm waiting.

kelly l said...

Yeah seriously, I'm with Heather. But I'm glad you made this adventure. I've never been to either place.

Kevin and Heather said...

What?? you act like you've never been to the Salt Flats OR Wendover! Do you not rememeber our homecoming trip to Elko 8 years ago?? Did we not stop and run out on the flats? Did we not honk when we crossed the state line? Its a sad day when Leigh Robins forgets she has made the trip to Elko, NV. ;)