Thursday, January 16, 2014

Year in Review & Preview.

And just like that 2013 is over.
It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating my birthday, and yet it is, again, just a week away (hint, hint).
And yet, alas, time always goes by so fast. I found yet with each year it goes by faster and faster. 
As I reflect on the past year I have to say overall it was a pretty good year. 
Of course it is sprinkled with ups and downs. 
Challenges and good times. 
Faith growing experiences. 
Tears. Laughs. 
Reunions and friendships. 
Fights and fall-outs. 
Lets review the year. Because the more I think about it the more I realize a lot of big things happened this year. 
September was most definitely my biggest month yet. I decided to do something that I had been wanting for such a long time. I went with my whole family to the Manti Temple to receive my own endowment. This has definitely been one of the best decisions I have made. I am so happy it was something special and something just for me. Moments I will always remember and cherish. 
The very next day I completed a marathon. I loved this not only for my medal {which I do LOVE} but because it was a goal I had set, worked hard for and achieved. I was so so scared. But I overcame that fear and did it. And I couldn't not have been more happy. 
In August, I moved to a new house in Sugarhouse. I packed up all of my belongs and moved in about 4 hours. I have new roommates which I adore. 
I hit my one year mark at my job in October. Which means one year of the Utah life. I have taken on more responsibility and love the feeling of confidence I have at my job. 
I travled a bit. I went home about 4 times. Went on a great vacation to Disneyland. Off to STG for Spring Break. San Francisco in January with the Lanai crew for Amy's wedding. Left the country and traveled Mexico during Fall Break. And went to Ogden a lot :)
I lounged 7 Peaks. Found a great quesadilla truck. Gone to the Temple almost every week and have visited lots of temples since my endowment. 
Rudy moved to Utah in February, after a couple of rocky months, I couldn't be happier he is here.
I went to a Muse concert in September. Celebrated the Robins Rendezvous in July. Ran two other half marathons and a 10k Mud Run.
 I definitely had my low moments and I am ever grateful for a loving Heavenly Father that pulled me through them.
All in all, it was a really great year. I don't think I could have asked for anything more.



Now it is time to look forward to 2014. 
At church a few weeks ago, we discussed New Year's Resolutions, shocking. Afterwards, a girl bore her testimony and referenced a talk given by Elder Holland on Lot's Wife. Which of course we know she turned to salt after looking back at Sodom and Gomorrah.
Which definitely put my future into perspective for me, especially after my last post.
Elder Holland said, "Apparently what was wrong with Lot's wife was that she wasn't just looking back, in her heart she wanted to go back."
This is such an important reminder, especially as a new year and a new start is upon us.
I loved this. Especially as I sometimes longingly and emotional look back on the past.
On how things use to be, my group of friends, my lifestyle, the beach, the dodgers, my ward, my weekend activities.
Instead I need to look forward. I need to cherish and appreciate the blessings that have been given me and that life that I have now.

 "And when we have learned what need to have learned and brought with us the best that we have experienced, then we look ahead, we remember that faith is always pointed toward the future." 

So this year I will have the faith that is needed. I will try to cherish the beautiful snow and appreciate a new experience and a new lifestyle. I will love my new friends even more and become a really big Salt Lake Bees fan.
This year I just hope to be a little kinder, strengthen my relationship with my family, read my scriptures more and do a lot of really fun things.