My life has slightly turned into Cinderella!
Ive havent necessarily been scrubbing lots of floors or gotten carriage rides but I have attending more fancy Balls then I ever thought I would.
Our culminating events for our Amabassador program at school is the school ball.
Now this is no ordinary school dance. The students dance the waltz, foxtrot and the cha cha.
And its always go big or go home with the decorations, set-up and fun for the dances.
Within the three APA Schools, we have successfully had EIGHT dinners and balls in the last three weeks for five different grades.
That means lots of late work nights doing prep work and then doing the actual event!
One thing that I have a love/ hate relationship with about our events is that we are on a very tight budget and so we are responsible to make all of our decorations! So in the past few weeks, I have gotten more DIY savvy than I ever thought.
Hot glueing boxes with glitter, making decorative pillars, spray painting till my fingers were sore and black and flowers! Geeze! In the past month we have assembled boutonnieres and corsages for about 600 students. Hence I have become an expert on floral arranging.
We had two formal four course dinners for the 8th graders at my campus. Making me in charge of all the decor and set up and assuring the night went as smooth as possible! The only bump in the night was when my heels broke.
The last two nights have been our grand finale ball at the La Caille Restaurant for our 9th grade class. I felt like I had been transported to the Swiss Alps or was on a date on the Bachelor...
We had a a five course meal with escargot! It was my favorite ball yet because we have a stellar group of 9th graders. With only 28 students in the 9th grade class it has been so easy to get to know them and just love each one of them. Especially when the boys showed up in their tuxes and the girls in pretty dresses.
Our school does an amazing job in the dance department. They attend dance classes each week and at the ball are able to do the waltz, foxtrot, cha cha, cowboy cha cha and the best one--Gangnum Style line dance which is so fun! Having these dances makes it so that each student is included (they have to dance!) they all know how, so avoiding awkward dancing situations and builds their confidence.
I loved watching them dance and see their talent, excitement and enjoying being there.
Now with the dances over I am so exhausted and a little sad. I have loved working with my Ambassador Team so much the last few weeks and of course I don't mind ever mind dancing and having a party to attend!
It has also been such a great accomplishment to work hard on something and see it come to fruition and better yet--the students love it!
Now, only three weeks till summer!














4 comments:
That's super cool. I'm proud of you and all your craftiness. I guess this makes up for all the dances Kennedy never held.
Wow!! Even though it was a lot of hard work and long hours, you will look back at this experience with fond memories. Think of all the things you learned; event coordinator, decorator, florist, organizer, the list could go on and on. Super impressed and very proud of you.
so fun! miss that place :)
That is really cool that you guys make it so nice and special for the kids. Great job! Proud of you!
Post a Comment