After our Ragnar adventure, Heather's family was once again nice enough to offer us a hotel to shower and get a good nights rest on a bed. It was so needed.
Then I was off to the Tar Heel state {which I just thought I was making it up, but I googled it and thats really the state's nickname} with the Sandall Family.
I've been so excited to go to North Carolina and see where Heather is living now.
It looked like this the whole time, and then all of a sudden, the trees would clear and we would be in a big city but wouldnt even know because it had been covered by trees.
It was also fun to talk to Kevin during the drive and crack jokes about Heather sleeping so much...
Heather saved the best tour of Charlotte especially for me!
The Charlotte Liberty Walk.
A tour of Revolutionary spots in Charlotte!
But first I saw this sign..
It was the best, and she knew I would enjoy it so much. And we both learned a ton! What was so cool is that all of these sites are right in the center of Downtown! We just walked around the business centers learning about the Revolution.
Such as...Charlotte was the first town to create a Declaration of Independence. They signed it and sent it to the Continental Congress on May 20, 1775. More than a year before our country formally declared independence! The congress saw their letter and said it was too soon for such a drastic measure. Maybe they should have listened sooner to those Charlottonians!
{I know the feet pictures are excessive. sorry. dont judge me.}
Right in the heart of the city is the site of the Battle of Charlotte from during the Revolution.
This battle has a lot of historical significance that I was previously unaware.
The British, being led by General Cornwallis attacked the city; however, were surprised by the Charlotte militia putting up such a strong rebuttal. Although they treated three times, they put the pressure on the British troops, not allowing them to fulling take over the city. The British went back to their encampment and were going to try again. But they were never given the chance. They had to withdraw from the Carolina front upon learning of the British defeat at King's Mountain to support their other armies. Charlotte's brave stand allowed their city to remain free and set the conditions for the eventual capture of Cornwallis at Yorktown.
We also saw the {legit} First Church of Charlotte.
It was established in 1818 and completed in 1823. This too is centered in the middle of the modern high rises, setting such an interesting juxtaposition. The town cemetery is right behind the church. Most of the people buried behind the church were soldiers from the Revolution and Civil wars and their families were buried with them as well.
I have this creepy love for cemeteries and so I loved walking throughout all of the old headstones.
There were many more sites, but these were my favorite.
I also got to go see one of my good friends Karly Barker and her sweet baby Annie. Karly and James use to live in Orange County but just recently made the move to NC.
I also saw my cousin Heather and her babes Rex and Alice.
I dont know how I randomly have two good friends and a cousin in Charlotte, but it was so great to be able to see them all during my short visit!
The rest of my time was spent just chilling with Heather and more with her adorable baby Brookie.
I absolutely loved hanging out with them both. Brooke is so beautiful and just melted my heart! Thank you Heather for letting me come spend such a long and amazing vacation with you and your family!
I loved it and I love you!
Heather saved the best tour of Charlotte especially for me!
The Charlotte Liberty Walk.
A tour of Revolutionary spots in Charlotte!
But first I saw this sign..
Such as...Charlotte was the first town to create a Declaration of Independence. They signed it and sent it to the Continental Congress on May 20, 1775. More than a year before our country formally declared independence! The congress saw their letter and said it was too soon for such a drastic measure. Maybe they should have listened sooner to those Charlottonians!
{I know the feet pictures are excessive. sorry. dont judge me.}
Right in the heart of the city is the site of the Battle of Charlotte from during the Revolution.
This battle has a lot of historical significance that I was previously unaware.
The British, being led by General Cornwallis attacked the city; however, were surprised by the Charlotte militia putting up such a strong rebuttal. Although they treated three times, they put the pressure on the British troops, not allowing them to fulling take over the city. The British went back to their encampment and were going to try again. But they were never given the chance. They had to withdraw from the Carolina front upon learning of the British defeat at King's Mountain to support their other armies. Charlotte's brave stand allowed their city to remain free and set the conditions for the eventual capture of Cornwallis at Yorktown.
We also saw the {legit} First Church of Charlotte.
I have this creepy love for cemeteries and so I loved walking throughout all of the old headstones.
There were many more sites, but these were my favorite.
I also got to go see one of my good friends Karly Barker and her sweet baby Annie. Karly and James use to live in Orange County but just recently made the move to NC.
I dont know how I randomly have two good friends and a cousin in Charlotte, but it was so great to be able to see them all during my short visit!
The rest of my time was spent just chilling with Heather and more with her adorable baby Brookie.
I absolutely loved hanging out with them both. Brooke is so beautiful and just melted my heart! Thank you Heather for letting me come spend such a long and amazing vacation with you and your family!
I loved it and I love you!















5 comments:
Again since I saw you for like 5 minutes before you left, you never got to the part of the story where you saw cousin heather. How fun! Yeah weird that you know 3 people in Charlotte.
I never heard that too. I'm glad you had a fun time. I miss and love all the green on the east coast.
The picture of you holding Rex either A. Makes Rec look like a giant or B. you look like a tiny person! Also your tour makes me want to visit Charlotte, if having my sister live there wasn't enough reason!
1. You almost make Charlotte sound cool. 2. I feel so honored to be featured on your blog. Thank you.
jealous. i miss heather. is that their new hose behind brooke? its so cute.
Post a Comment