If you would have told me a year ago that I would run in the Ragnar Relay Series...
I would have thought you were crazy.
If you would have told me that I would run Ragnar and then absolutely love it....
I would think you were out of your mind.
But thats what happened.
But thats what happened.
186 miles. 12 runners. 2 vans. 3 legs to run. Hardly any sleep and food.
And all this going on for two days straight.
Does not sound fun at all.
But for some crazy reason it is one of the most fun and exciting things I have ever done!
A few months back my good friend from BYU, Nick asked me if I would be interested in joining his team to run the Napa Valley race. After thinking it over for a few days, I committed although I was super nervous about being able to handle it and then not knowing anyone else on my team.
I definitely thought about backing out on multiple occasions. But I was almost more excited to just hang out with Nick than actually run. And for that, I stuck it out.
Our team, Baller$ on a Budget, had a start time on Friday at 9 AM. I was runner 3 in van one. I definitely woke up in the morning and wanted to puke I was so nervous. And said numerous times how nervous I was feeling. Although I didnt know anyone else on my team, it was great to be with Nick and his friends who I instantly loved hanging out with and had such a great time.
John started us off and got to run on the Golden Gate Bridge.
We were too busy snapping photos on the bridge during his run that we were late to pick him up when he finished! woops!
We were too busy snapping photos on the bridge during his run that we were late to pick him up when he finished! woops!
It was so beautiful and scenic and was so busy just observing my surroundings that my run went by so fast.
My team literally had bad luck at exchanges. As I was finishing up and running through the town, I just happened to look over into the parking lot of a grocery store to see three of my teammates--including Nick who was runner 4--emerging from the store. Next thing I know all three of them are running alongside of me finishing up my run with me. Nick got a nice warm up for his 7 miler and John and Trey were just good supporters!
Seriously one of my favorite parts of the race is just the experience of being in the van. Supporting your team members as they run and trying to get to the next exchange.
It can get pretty hectic trying to find a good spot to see your teammate run by and find the exchange with enough time for the next runner to get all ready. I felt like we were on a scavenger hunt!
While Nick was running we found lots of good spots to cheer him on. He took those hills like a champ!
Oh hey T-Rex!
I like this picture cause I was literally jumping up and down because I was so excited for Nick.
It can get pretty hectic trying to find a good spot to see your teammate run by and find the exchange with enough time for the next runner to get all ready. I felt like we were on a scavenger hunt!
While Nick was running we found lots of good spots to cheer him on. He took those hills like a champ!
Oh hey T-Rex!
I like this picture cause I was literally jumping up and down because I was so excited for Nick.
After all our runners finished we got to take a little break for about 5 hours will van 2 was off running their legs!
Next up--our night runs! We started running again around 6:30 PM. I took off around 9 PM and was a little bummed that I didnt get to experience running in the middle of the night. But it was still a great run.
5.1 miles. One hill and running out in the middle of nowhere.
I did love this run! There is something so peaceful about running all by yourself at night. So dark and so quiet. Although I did not appreciate the smell of cows that I had to endure. Definitely ran for a bit only breathing through my mouth to try and avoid the smell.
My team cheered my on twice! It was such a great little surprise to run into them off to the side of the run.
After we all finished around midnight, it was time to try and attempt some sleep in the van. I think I got about 3 hours total.
We were up again around 5 AM to get to the next exchange. We cheered van 2 as they came in and as our van was off again to run!
Third and final leg! 3.2 miles. 9 AM. NAPA!!
This was the most beautiful run as for the majority of the run I was able to run on a small trail in between two vineyards.
wait, what!?
like seriously, it was crazy. And I loved it. Who gets to do that?
I may or may not have listened to Justin Bieber's Never Say Never to help me sprint into my final exchange and hand off the batton to Nick.
As I finished I was immediately sad that all of my running was over.
I just wanted to keep running! I felt like I could run for days!
Ballers on a Budget finished many hours later--as some of our team members struggled through the heat during their legs--but we finished strong at the finish line.
It was seriously an amazing feeling of accomplishment. Especially since I had no desire to ever run Ragnar. It sounded like an awful experience and I was never sure if I could hack it. But I did! It was great that my legs werent too difficult for my first Ragnar race. And I did better than I had expected. It is a great feeling to be able to run like that and know that you can push your body to do great things.
Ragnar was a success! LOVED running and LOVED my team. I seriously was laughing the whole weekend. Cant wait to run another one!
Ragnar was a success! LOVED running and LOVED my team. I seriously was laughing the whole weekend. Cant wait to run another one!



















5 comments:
i'm glad you had fun and that you wanted to run more. i definitely did not want to run any more. and i'm glad you're wearing tanks running now. you looked great. t-shirts are way too hot.
looks like so much fun! way to go, queen!
Totally comes from Grandma Jytta or something because I get sick before things too! haha
And two, date Nick. He is super cute!
Good job Leigh. When did you find the time to write this post? :)
Wow! That is just awesome that you did this! Way to go! (hey, that sounds like Jytta!)
Post a Comment