Thursday, June 4, 2009

Salt Lake Day Trip

For years Taylor and I have talked about going to Salt Lake for a day trip. I dont really remember when we came up with this idea but it is something that we have always talked about but never actually did. The main problem was that we wanted to go up on a day with good weather. Well since Taylor and I usually only stay in Utah for the fall/ winter semester this gives us just a handful of days of good weather, either at the beginning of fall or end of winter. Now that we are up for the Spring we decided that we finally needed to have our day trip. This trip mostly consisted of wanting to walk around Utah's campus. We frequently talked about bringing up backpacks to try and pass for U students and perhaps even studying in the library. Last friday deemed the perfect opportunity as I needed to drive up to Kaysville for my cousin's wedding and since Taylor would already be up there for work. It was definitely weird walking around Utah's campus. It was bizarre to be on a campus that we were not familiar with and especially it being that of our arch rival. We encountered two problems on our exploration 1. it was brutally hot! We werent too up for exploring since we were both sweating. (One of my friends told me that he had a mission to drink for a drinking fountain in every BYU building, I can easily say that Taylor and I did that...only at the U) 2. We didnt really know much, so we walked around blindly. We determined that that U has poorly identified their buildings. BYU has great signs outside each of their buildings, the U however does not. Which made it difficult cause we didnt know where we were going. We decided that because of these two problems we will have to reschedule our day trip and redo it after we carefully studied up on what exactly we want to see.


Overall we werent that impressed with the U's campus. Im still a big fan of BYU. But it was strange and I couldnt help but think of Dad while I was walking around and going into the buildings, realizing that Dad actually went there and walked through these buildings. I guess I could think those same things about BYU with Mom, Laura and Kelly but for some reason it was just different being at Utah. It was also way weird walking into their bookstore, way too much red in there for my liking.


We are definitely gonna have to go back. And stop at The Pie next time since Im pretty sure that was a part of our original plans anyways. But I was so happy that my best friend and I could finally accomplish our much talked about and anticipated activity.


5 comments:

kelly l said...

boo to the U.

Laura said...

i ate at the pie once and found a big hair in my pizza and never went back.

Monica said...

I will go with you to the PIE when I get back! I have nothing but awesome experiences with that place!

T. Hoyt said...

haha UofU Field Trip Pt. Deux is in full force ASAP!

Anonymous said...

Boo to the U???? I am so honored that you would take a memorial trip to the U in my honor. Most of my time on campus was rushing from one class to the other, back to the library before I rushed off to work. Lot's of stress in preparation for exams, labs etc. in the math and science buildings. The good memories were at the Special Events Center (now named for some benefactor), where we always dominated BYU and all other teams in our conference in basketball.